Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Buying wisely - guidelines for purchasing a fabric purse or handbag on line. 1st in a series...





I've hinted at a special feature, and am pleased to present the first post in a series on how to select a well made handmade purse when making the purchase on line. Hopefully you'll not only enjoy this series, but will also come away a more educated buyer. The very best for happy shopping experiences!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's been said that you get what you pay for. I've been told by some that I charge too much for my purses - others find them competitively priced. Admittedly making a purchase on line carries a certain risk because there isn't the option of touching and holding the merchandise. With a few good photos and descriptions, and with a bit of knowledge, making on-line purchases can carry much less risk, surprise, and dissapointment.

The ordinary person understandably doesn't always know what to look for when buying a purse. While often pretty, unfortunately some purses just aren't made well enough to last for the long haul. Admittingly, my work is evolving, and my purses are better now than they were a year or two ago. And, while I can't compete with the gifted artisans who produce elegant tooled leather products, I do know a bit about what goes into a basic fabric handbag.

With designer handbags, there are things to look for when the price is too good to be true, (a great topic for another blog post about fraudulent designer copies), and the same holds true for handmade fabric bags. There are just some basic construction techniques that hold true, no matter who's made the product. Below is what to look for when buying a purse anywhere. I'm going to limit the examples to fabric purses, because what I know the most about and because you find a lot of fabric purses in electronic venues.


Tomorrow - "Fabrics, materials, and care considerations"

1 comment:

  1. Interesting topic! Will be back for the rest of the series, as I love to make purses and clutches!

    [inkihandmade.blogspot.com]
    [inkihandmade.etsy.com]

    ReplyDelete