Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Kellyssima

I'm featuring Kellyssima's shop a bit out of turn, not only because her Etsy shop will be closed for a few weeks, but also because she's running a BIG SALE until April 28, which ends today. She's promoting a BUY ONE GET THE SECOND ITEM FOR 1/2 OFF! special!! Her shop announcement states that the second item has to be the same or less value, and asks that buyers please wait for the revised invoice.

Sales aside, I was again delighted to discover that the artist behind the work is every bit as interesting as the work itself! Kelly, originally from Sao Paulo, Brazil, lives in Austin, Texas. Her background is in fashion design, where she worked professionally for 3 years. While taking a break from it, she wanted to try a different outlet for her creativity, and decided to give jewelry design a try. I think she's done a great job of it!

In browsing through Kelly's shop, I somehow was taken back into time. Her jewelry items appeal to me because they have a retro, modern look, all rolled into one, but always feminine and romantic. Her jewelry is sort of like my crochet items - an old fashioned theme but kicked up using modern materials and design twists! Kelly describes it best:

"My designs are kellyssima (very Kelly). They reflect the passion I have always had for the romantic art, architecture, and fashion from the late 1800's. Also, I love combining unexpected colors, materials, and shapes together. I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't’t say any other way - things I had no words for.”

As I looked over her shop, I saw a great deal or originality, and it was obvious that Kelly has her own style - unique, interesting, and not a copy of anything I've seen. She loves the delicate and feminine - the old look of verdigris and brass, and adds vintage and Victorian elements to create a "new/old" look!

I had a hard time finding something to feature, so again, have selected 2 items - perhaps you'll like these or will find something else to purchase using Kelly's sale promotion?!

I especially like Kelly's earrings titled "She Hangs Brightly", (whimsical earrings with dangling "lady hand" charms)! The hand theme was quite popular in Victorian jewelry, and as a lover of that era and the "hand" motif, I have several items in my home and a few jewelry items that consist of women's hands. I'm not sure what draws me to lady's hands, but it may be in part because they symbolize the "handmade" concept and all the beautiful and personal things that only hands can make? In any case, I found them completely appropriate to share on a blog that is devoted to all things handmade!

"She Hangs Brightly:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=24062248

"It could be Sweet - spring earrings"
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=22843046

Etsy Shop:http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5362078

Kelly also has a brand new shop at lollishops:http://www.lollishops.com/kellyssima

Blogs: http://kellyssimadesigns.blogspot.com/http://austinish.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment